Why You Should Eat Seasonally
Look at that gorgeous citrus I picked up at Mike’s Organic Delivery today!
My kids have become grapefruit lovers, which happens to be one of my favorites too. I TRY to eat seasonally for a few reasons:
1. It’s the most flavorful. Seasonally fresh produce is picked when it’s ripe and fully developed.
2. I’s cheaper because there’s an abundance.
3. It’s better for the environment because it needs less human assistance.
4. It forces you to eat a wider variety of foods throughout the year.
5. It challenges you to come up with new, fun and delicious dishes based on what you find - believe me, there are A LOT of dishes you can come up with when you have a CSA full of leeks...leek pizza anyone?!
And finally, there’s something to be said about nature’s cycle of produce giving us exactly what we need when we need it. Balance.
Do you eat with the seasons?